Wednesday, 2 September 2009

Dodgy ...

Well, France turned out to be very sunny indeed – everyday in fact. We spent most days in the pool and fun was had by all. We managed to have a very good break … as hopefully the pictures show. I have just come back from the Greenbelt Festival, where the MET office misled us by saying there were going to be sunny intervals. It was great to catch up with many good friends. I spent an afternoon listening to jazz, but was left with my 30 year-old key question unanswered – who is everyone in the ensemble following?

I might well have overdone it at the festival because yesterday was a very rough day – very fragile and energy-less. The main incident for me was my fainting episode. I strongly believe in committing to 'a faint' and so this time passed-out in a forwards direction, forehead-first onto the corner of a wall. It was just Joel and I in the house at the time, but fortunately he was safe upstairs. Eventually I managed to get to the lounge and onto a sofa and I lay there for a few hours sleeping. Today I feel better, just in time for school on Thursday!

I met with the oncologist last Friday and the results of the scan aren’t good. Everything has progressed slightly and the new tumours are absolutely established. So … it’s chemo time. I had a Hickman line put in today (it goes in through a main artery in my neck and down into my chest and means no more needles for now) and I start the new regime sometime in the next week. It is a tough one and I expect my school life to be reduced by 50%. Anyway, I remain hopeful that I will weather it well as I have done all the previous regimes. However, I am also very anxious that the treatment has effect. Mary and I are very aware that I have worked my way through many treatments and that there are very few left after this, if any. We have a real sense of being in classic cancer territory – strong chemo bringing hair loss, risk of serious weight loss, lethargy etc. It feels like a new land. Anyway, we’re heading into it. I am going to chart the number of times people tell me that I actually suit being bald or that I have a really nice shape of head (all well-meant, I know) The children in my school will be much more direct – “Eh, Mr ‘alliday. Wot ye gone and done with yer ‘air?”

Thanks again for visiting the blog.