Thursday, 10 September 2009

The Chemo

Well, my Hickman line has been surgically placed, my hair is shaved, I have organised cover at school and I am ready for chemo ... ish. I start on Tuesday morning. The Hickman line was straight forward. It's only when I think about it that I feel a bit wobbly. It went into a main vein in my neck and was fed down into my chest and into the vena cava, which is one of the body's main veins. It means that the chemo can be fed straight into the body without using a needle; it also reduces the side effects. The side effects are a bit grim and infections can be life-threatening. If they develop I have to go straight into hospital in Leeds. Anyway, I have been spared the full force of the side-effects in previous regimes and I remain hopeful that I might be spared the full force of this.

The family are all well and back at school. It hardly seems that we have been away! Our dog Basil has had a great day. I came home to find an empty chedders packet and an empty Soreen loaf wrapper. He was confined to his bed as a punishment, but not to worry ... Joel gave him his dinner. Great.

Thanks for visiting the blog. I will keep you up to date.