This happened again at 23.19! Thankfully at 23.52 I managed to get to a carriage early, due to a sudden change of platform; I even got a seat. Once the next batch of football fans had pressed themselves into every available centimetre of the train, we eventually left. In a carriage awash with hot breath, eau de armpit and cider, I wasn’t particularly looking forward to the next ninety minutes. However, some lovely community singing broke out almost immediately. There were several songs although lyrically, the themes were quite limited … someone called ‘Pope’ (must be the poet …) was being given some quite frank advice and there were also some kind offers of food to a man called Bobby Sands. Now, for some people, endless hoarse, raucous bellowing and ranting would be a nightmare. Luckily for me, our regular church pew on a Sunday is quite near the choir and so I quickly found that merely closing my eyes made me feel closer to home.
On a serious note, I met with the consultant earlier in the week and I am starting the ‘big guns’ chemo on Wednesday 28th May. It is going to be tough, I fear, but Mary and I are going to try very hard to keep a veneer of normality for the sake of the children. Prayers to this effect, and for me to ‘get away lightly’ with side effects, would be greatly appreciated. The side effects are many and not pleasant, although I will be pointing out to my brothers this weekend that, although I am the first of us to undergo reasonably extensive hair thinning, there still isn’t a grey hair in my head! They are beginning to look as if they are attending an Alistair Darling Convention.
Thanks for visiting the blog and for your support and encouragement. I will, of course, update again when the chemo starts.
| web analytics stats |