Wednesday, 7 July 2010

All Change

Well we had just got into a fairly effective routine with our new furniture arrangement and me being attentive nurse and, for now, it's all changed again. Our Macmillan nurse suggested that it would be good for Mark to be 'in the hospice system' so as to be able to access all the 'extras '. We nodded and agreed that this all made sense and so after she had phoned around it transpired that a bed was free today and he was booked in for a week's stay. ( In my ignorance I hadn't quite realised that you were allowed to come and go).

So the ambulance was booked and I spent yesterday evening packing up pills, medical equipment etc. and off we went this morning. Mark has a very pleasant room overlooking a garden and there are lots of cheery nurses about eager to attend to every request. One of the first people we came across was the Doctor from the hospital who oversees all Mark's pain relief so that felt very reassuring. It did feel a bit surreal being given a guided tour of the hospice. It is small but well equipped and to my dark amusement even has a little souvenir shop. I think it is quite sobering for all of us that Mark is there; even Joel has begun to notice a bit more and is commenting that 'Daddy's poorly- he's gone to the hostipal'. On the plus side, Mark managed to walk a short distance up the corridor today and has a goal to make it to church on Sunday. He is also booked in tomorrrow for a hair cut so I'm sure he will be very comfortable and well cared for and hopefully he will regain some strength.

Having settled Mark in and returned home I found that Naomi was complaining of feeling ill and was not wanting to go to her Theatre Royal rehearsal (alarm bells!). Sure enough later on she was sick. I am hoping that this is not a gift she is about to share, and if it is perhaps we should be very thankful that Mark is not here. ..!