It is 22 years ago today that Mark and I walked down the aisle and made our vows 'For better or worse'. We celebrated in as much style as we could manage. Mark had a shower (quite a procedure) and we pored over a digital radio in a very middle-aged way trying to work out how to do the pre- sets whilst drinking cappuchinos. We have had a run of occasions lately; birthdays, father's day, wedding anniversary and through all the celebrations there has inevitably been an underlying sense of poignancy. As a few of our (much older!) friends are celebrating their silver weddings it is hard, whilst rejoicing for them, not to feel a little cheated.
Mark is doing well and managed to walk a fair distance yesterday down the corridor to have his hair cut. There is a proper salon but all the hairdressers are volunteers ( My initial uneducated fear was that they might just be a collection of enthusiastic amateurs wielding clippers, but no, they are all trained and experienced). It amazes me how much the place relies on volunteers for so many things. The gardens are also beautifully kept and are a testament to peoples' goodwill and the value which they place on the hospice. It really is a very positive and calming environment and I am grateful that we are benefitting from it.
Other trivialities: Having got used to our additional piece of furniture in the lounge and successfully won the battle to keep both Joel and Basil off it, it seems it is going to be collected on Monday and then returned again when Mark comes out probably on Wednesday...I suppose ours is not to question why. Also, It has come as a relief to us all that Naomi has, so far,managed to keep her bugs to herself. She will return to being a weasel at rehearsals tomorrow. Martha went in to see Mark yesterday and he did a brilliant job talking her through her English assignment. As I looked on admiringly he remarked. 'I should have been a teacher...'
Thanks for visiting. I will feed in updates as and when.