Sunday, 13 June 2010

Be careful what you wish for...

Well it's very possible that my yearnings for W31 may be fulfilled, but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. I had another alarming phone call from the hospital at 6.15 this morning asking me to go in as Mark had had a very bad night. The procedure, while successful in itself, had in the doctor's words 'stirred everything up' and an infection had taken hold. He had had virtually no sleep,his temperature had gone up to 39.7 and his pulse was racing. He had been given fluids, oxygen and some powerful antibiotics and, thankfully, over time his temperature did come down and he eventually managed to get to sleep. I have been gently questioning whether he might be transferred to ward 31 so that he can be on a ward where he is known and all the intricacies of his case history are familiar. I am not alone or original in my thinking but there is obviously protocol to be observed on the wards and, being a Sunday, no one is going to make any radical decisions. I am hopeful that he will be moved for many reasons, not least the rigorous infection control regime which happens on 31, in contrast to 15 where it amounts to a voluntary blob of hand gel 'if you're passing a squirter'

Other family news: Naomi, Alice and I had 'a blast' at Lightwater Valley. The sun shone, the queues were fine and a great time was had by all, although I have to acknowledge that I am now too old to be spun around at speed after a sandwich. Martha had fun in town with her friend (and I'm sure also spent time bonding with her biology revision notes) and Joel apparently threw himself into the dance workshop with 'flair and enthusiasm'. So most of our hopes for the weekend were fulfilled, and I'm particularly pleased that Naomi's trip was a success as Mark will not be home for her birthday on Tuesday. So with all our hopes now focusing on Mark, we are obviously keen for the infection to remain under control and for him to remain stable and make a steady improvement.
Many thanks, as ever, for your support.