Thursday, 18 March 2010

Escaped

Mark here. I was discharged this afternoon and am very happy to be home. Our family life is actually quieter than the ward! The man next door to me wanted to tell me all about an autistic adult he knew and it really was an exceptional account in terms of length. I had just held my breath, turned blue and dropped senseless to the floor just to make it stop when ... it did! He took a break. I got up, lay back, stretched for my book when he said, "Now, as for his sister ..." A difficult time.

I had a pretty heavy conversation with my consultant this morning. It turns out that I was much more unwell than I realised and the septicemia proved very hard to shift. He doubts that I will receive more chemo because he doesn't think my body will be able to fight the infection if it returns when my immune system is low. To be honest it makes me feel very vulnerable indeed as I caught this infection from one of my tumours and I need to stay free from infection in general and this one in particular. Anyway, for now I am enjoying my new found freedom and it is great to be back with the family. Betty's here I come!!