Saturday, 23 February 2008

No Sleep 'Til Kettering ...

Strands of sunshine eventually force their way through the gap between the curtains of my room. Morning. London is quiet, too quiet. It must be early. I get up and look out the window, pleased to see the sun softening the patchwork of tiled Victorian roofs. In the kitchen, teabags are being dropped into cups as a kettle reaches boiling point. I head down the stairs and take my place at the table. Soon Cole appears, clearly having wakened only seconds before. He has never looked less like his promotional photo on the flier. We exchange a glance as we both reach for the Frosties. We know it's the last day of the tour ... Kettering awaits us. Soon we would be driving away from The Smoke, turning our backs on our opening night (twelve hours before, but it felt more like fifteen.) The M1 ... diet Coke ... Ginster's Buffet Bars ... queing for fuel.
For those about to rhyme ... we salute you!

The shortest tours are often the best, in my experience.

This is a quick post just to say a big thank you to my very good friends in Kettering for turning out in droves and supporting us last Saturday at the poetry reading. It was a great experience for Cole, Martin and myself, but perhaps especially for me as it reminded Mary and I of your loyalty and support. Invaluable! Thank you! It will be one of those memories that I look back on for a very long time.

Thanks also to St. Luke's, Holloway for a great evening on the Friday night. Again, kind people with encouraging words. Let's hope we can do it again sometime.

I think I might accidentally have just written a poem that isn't about illness. I am a bit taken aback myself. When I get it right, I'll post it on the blog, just to give us all a break ...