

Birthday Celebrations
I am just about to finish the third chemo cycle out of four. (The routine is for me to have chemo for two weeks and then to have a week’s break so that my body can recover; this happens four times.) My visits to the hospital have been quite encouraging and blood tests suggest that my kidney and liver function is normal and also that my white blood cell count is high enough for me to fight off infection. I have to say that to the surprise of many (including myself) I am feeling really well. The skin on my hands and feet has started to peel a bit (lovely image, I know) but other than that … fine! What is even more encouraging is that I have now been completely off pain-killers for over a week. Until I started chemo I was absolutely dependant on them, so it is a good result indeed. So what is the reward for my stamina and resilience? Well, the doctors have decided to increase my period of chemo from three months to six if I remain well until mid-march, which is when the fourth cycle ends. We still face the harsh reality of the disease being in my pelvis, lungs and bones and I guess that has prompted the decision. Anyway, if this very tolerable chemo regime slows the cancer’s progress, then we are happy and very grateful. A scan in March will confirm the effect of the treatment
And so to family news. I’m sure it will surprise none of you that Mary is in the village panto. She is playing the part of a degenerate buffoon … something she has been able to observe at close quarters for almost twenty years. Naomi and Martha are also in it which leaves Joel and I free for a quick visit to Scotland this weekend. On the national theme, Scottish poet Ronnie Kerr and I enjoyed two readings in and around York last weekend. They were well supported by kind people who had nice things to say. A big ‘thank you’ to them. The tour continues with Cole Moreton and Martin Wroe, and we are visiting St. Luke’s Church, Holloway, London on 15th February and Christ The King Church, Kettering on 16th February. I have a reading in Paris later on in March (he dropped casually … you see I really will go anywhere, even after the weekend’s rugby) and two booked for April ...Bristol and Northwood, London.
Well I will bid you farewell on this first day of Lent. Have you given anything up? On the radio this morning a bishop was suggesting that rather than giving something up (negative overtones and all that) we should consider taking something up instead. Good advice, and so I have started shoplifting.
Thanks as always for visiting the blog and for your support.