Tuesday, 7 July 2009

Trophies

The end of term is within sight. A relief all round. On the whole it has been a good year. We have some very good SATs result with which to appease Ofsted and the Deputy is now firmly in role. We had a good school moment just a couple of weeks ago when our youngest children went up to the village church to talk to the Vicar. (They had designed their own questions and the first one was, “Did Jesus survive?” Interesting at many levels but difficult to give an answer to someone who is five.) Anyway, as part of the talk the vicar produced this large, decorated silver chalice. The eyes of the children all widened, particularly those of Alex aged 5, who looked on and asked, “Where do you keep your other football trophies?”

I saw the consultant last Friday, just for a quick conversation. They will scan me again later in August and meet to discuss the results early in September. The only thing that has changed is that they have altered the pain management, adding a morphine solution to the usual routine. It is the same old problem of waking with leg pain at about 2 am and not really getting back to sleep. I will now take some of the morphine solution when I wake and hopefully this will see me through. I am still pleased to be treatment free for the summer, and if I can manage the pain more successfully then we should hopefully enjoy a few good weeks.

It’s Sports Day today in school. I am on the score board this year, as being a line judge proved to be too frightening last year. You really take your life in your hands! Many schools have opted to give out ‘Well Done’ stickers to all the competitors, but I am still of the view that there should be outright winners, who receive trophies and/or certificates. After all, it is one of life’s important lessons … you can’t be good at everything and some children do excel in sport. That said, last year whenever I declared the winner of race, I quickly felt like a lone wildebeest in a David Attenborough documentary, being stalked by an approaching pack of hungry predators. I might just carry a few sheets of ‘Headteacher’s Award’ stickers, in case.

I will leave you with some pictures of Martha’s birthday celebrations. Where did those years go?

Thanks for visiting the blog.