Mary and I met with our Consultant yesterday to discuss the results of the scans and blood tests. Not great news, I'm afraid, although there are certainly some positives. The bad news is that the main site of the disease (bones and soft tissue in my pelvis) has been completely untouched by 6 months of chemo. In fact there has been slight spread, which explains the high CEA levels and increased pain. Added to our sadness at this is the fact that there is now nothing more they can do to tackle the disease in that area. Also, the main tumour is pressing on the tubes that drain my kidneys and my kidneys are slightly swollen and not functioning properly. I am going to need a small op to reduce the pressure on them, probably in the next week or so.
The good news is that the small tumours on my lungs and scar tissue have gone from the scans. Great! But ... they will be back. Chemo very much reduces them but doesn't remove them completely. Nevertheless, gone for now.
So what happens next? I am to have a single dose of radiotherapy to the affected bones and some bone strengthening injections to try and lock calcium in and thus reduce the tumours' progress. I am also having two blood tests a week to monitor my kidney function. When they deteriorate to a certain level I will be whipped into hospital to have stents fitted into the said tubes, but not before I have gorged a couple of buckets of valium! The much dreaded next chemo regime will start when the tumours in my lungs and elsewhere reappear. So ... watch this space.
We are well supported up here (and of course by your good selves) so we are coping surprisingly well. Daily life is still more or less completely normal, and we are very grateful for that. Yes, even for the usual spate of irrational school parents' concerns which this week have focused on the potential drug dangers of the school 'litter pick'. Yes, even for the £60 fine and 3 points on my license for a moment of unwise overtaking on the A59 last Wednesday!
Can anyone lend me a bike?