Monday, 22 October 2007

Living Room Poets

Can I start off by saying how surprised and yet delighted I was about the flattering descriptions of my dance ministry left in the 'comments' section of my last posting. I had only recently decided to permanently hang up my liturgical leg warmers, cat suit and headband, but I am now thinking that All Saints, Poppleton might just be ready for the return of my ministry. I think I'll start off slowly, however, by dancing an unannounced and unaccompanied version of Kum By Ya this Sunday enhance by my WWJD poncho ...

I have just returned from a very brief visit to Scotland to take part in a poetry reading with the very fine and talented Mr. Ronnie Kerr. Ronnie is based in Fife and we met and read at the home of our dear mutual friends, Malcolm and Mel. Thirty five friends, neighbours and colleagues attended and helped make what was, for me, a very enjoyable and memorable occasion. There is something very intimate and relaxed about living room gigs that can't be replicated in libraries, village halls or festival tents. Thank you to everyone who came. All funds raised by tickets sales are being donated to Cancer Research UK. I am eager to repeat the experience, so if you have a living room that you feel would benfit from a gathering of friends and 'live poetry' from myself and at least one other poet, email me. Have note book ... will travel.

I am on a count down to the next visit to the consultant. It happens on Friday 2nd November. I think the focus of this visit is to decide whether or not to re-start treatment. I haven't had scans since the last one, but they intend to monitor my pain levels. The point at which my cocktail of brufen, codeine and paracetamol falls short is the point at which they will probably book me in for the big radiotherapy blast. This can happen only once, and so I want to postpone it as long as I can. I will, of course, let you know the decision.

My computer has been refusing to go on line which is why this post is late. I hope this new connectivity lasts ...

Thanks for visiting the blog and taking interest. It means a great deal to us.